- DUNCANSBAY, a township, in the parish of Canisbay, county of Caithness, 9 miles (N. by E.) from Keiss; containing 302 inhabitants. This place, said to be the Berubium of Ptolemy, is a beautiful promontory, forming the north-east corner of the island of Great Britain, of a circular shape, and about two miles in circumference. Towards the sea, which encompasses two-thirds of the Head, it is one continued precipice; and on the land side is a deep glen or ravine, over which a small bridge is thrown. The Stacks of Duncansbay are pyramidical pillars of naked freestone rock, rearing their fantastic summits to a considerable altitude, like huge spires of an old cathedral, and are frequented by innumerable sea-fowl. On the highest part of the Head are the remains of an ancient watch-tower, whence is a prospect the most noble and extensive that can be imagined, embracing the whole Pentland Frith, the Orkney islands, the German Sea, the Moray Frith, and the mountains of Banff, Aberdeen, and Elgin. The whole promontory is covered with excellent pasturage for sheep, intermixed with short heath. Here was formerly a chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary; the site is still known by the name of Lady-Kirk, though no remains of the edifice exist.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Canisbay — CANISBAY, a parish, in the county of Caithness; including the island of Stroma, a small part of the late quoad sacra parish of Keiss, and the detached townships of Auckingill, Duncansbay, Freswick, Gills, Huna, Brabster, and East and West Mey; … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Gills — GILLS, a township, in the parish of Canisbay, county of Caithness, 15 miles (N. by w.) from Wick; containing 164 inhabitants. It is situated on the shore of the Pentland Frith, nearly opposite the island of Stroma, and at the head of Gills bay … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Huna — HUNA, a township, in the parish of Canisbay, county of Caithness, 19 miles (N.) from Wick; containing 111 inhabitants. This place is situated on the shore of the Pentland Frith, and consists, in its western part, from Huna Inn to Gill s bay,… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Orphir — ORPHIR, a parish, in the county of Orkney, 8 miles (S. W.) from Kirkwall; containing, with the island of Cava, 1064 inhabitants. This place derives its name, in the Norwegian language Orfer, from the mossy nature of its soil: towards the close … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland